Just like the song says, "You've got to put one foot in front of the other."

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

North Face 50 mile...ouch

On a warm and rainy day this September I took my first steps into the world of ultramarathons with The North Face Endurance Challenge 50 mile in Eagle, WI. I have to say that getting up at 3am to run is not the most fun I've ever had but after limping to the finish in 12.5 hours on borrowed hiking poles with a wrecked knee taped up by a kind soul I can safely say that I can't wait to do it again next year. I won't be posting any pictures because it's a little embarrassing that it took me so long to finish, I was shooting for 9.5 hours or less. I ran in my new Vibram FiveFinger Bikilas and they performed wonderfully, I'm not sure I'll ever get them clean again but who really cares about that. It was a marvelous run with the best volunteers I've ever seen, everyone was support as I dragged myself to the finish. Not the way I wanted to start off but someday I'll look back on this and laugh...I hope. I've had to take a week off because of some reoccurring knee pain but I've been out the last two days and felt really great. A little voice in the back of my mind keeps telling me to sign up for the Wild Duluth 100K, we'll have to see what happens. Thanks again North Face crew, I had a blast and I'll see you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment