Just like the song says, "You've got to put one foot in front of the other."

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Black Dog 50

Last Saturday was my second attempt at a 50 mile. A good friend from work hosted a trail run in Wisconsin on the Ice Age trail. It was a casual affair and I managed to show up late for the start...very unusual for me. Not wanting to keep everyone waiting I threw on my Salomon trail shoes rather than the Vibrams and we were out the door. For sheer beauty I'm not sure I've ever run anything close to this race, miles of gorgeous woods, wildlife everywhere, lakes and rivers reflecting the early morning sun, it really was a truly special day. With a small group we settled into our respective paces and headed out into the wild. Having not run in shoes for over a year I was extra alert and curious to see how my body would respond to the change. The answer came shortly after the ninth mile when I went sideways in the mud and heard an astonishingly loud pop from my ankle and knee. Gritting my teeth I slowed down and began to curse the natural beauty I had admired only a short time before. I reached the second checkpoint and realized that by injuring the same kneed I had the month before I was effectively out of the run. Several of the guys slowed down to offer encouragement and support but at 30.6 miles I made the decision to withdraw and try to relax. Thanks to Peter for an awesome race and to everyone that helped me push to 30, you guys were great. I've been back on the bike and the knee feels good so I've signed up for two more races this month, I'll remember the Vibrams this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment